Coming soon: the new MGAA website. Please check back with us in January 2017.
1. What is the Master Gardeners Association of Alberta (MGAA)?
- We are an incorporated not-for-profit society composed of Master Gardeners from all regions of Alberta.
2. Why do we need the MGAA?
- The MGAA was formed in direct response to requests from existing Master Gardeners and Master Gardener students for an organization that would connect gardening enthusiasts across the province and create learning opportunities for experienced individuals who have already completed one of the available Master Gardening programs.
3. What is the MGAA's mandate?
- The MGAA has four primary objectives;
i. To assist Master Gardeners in enhancing their education;
ii. To connect Master Gardeners across Alberta and perhaps with other provincial Master Gardening organizations in Canada;
iii. To provide a way for the wider community to interact with Master Gardeners and inform the gardening community of volunteer opportunities;
iv. To create consistent definitions of the rights and responsibilities of those who bear the title of Master Gardener.
4. If I have my designation from another province, may become a member?
- Membership is open to master gardeners who have completed the requirements for a master gardener program recognized by MGAA, and who reside in Alberta.
5. How do I become a Master Gardener?
6. How do I join the MGAA?
- Currently, applications are being accepted from master gardeners who have successfully completed the requirements from a Master Gardener Program recognized by MGAA.
7. What are the annual fees and what are the benefits?
- Currently, the fees are $30 per annum for all categories of membership.
- Affiliation with a formal association of your peers will enhance the status of your Master Gardener designation.
- Membership is an ideal way to stay on top of the latest in the industry, connect with your colleagues and develop a greater understanding of the role of the master gardener.
- Please refer to our web page for details of other benefits.
8. Will MGAA provide employment opportunities for master gardeners?
- MGAA is a not for profit society and does not employ nor provide work for master gardeners. However, on our website, we will post employment and contract work opportunities for master gardeners that are provided to us by individuals and organizations.
9. If I am hired by an individual through a posting on the website, do you insure the work?
- No, MGAA is acting only as the broker when posting advertisements (much like a classified ad in the newspaper) to provide a service to the public. It is up to the both parties to ensure that they are adequately covered by the appropriate insurance.